Shopping Safely From Online Shops
|Date Added: July 31, 2008 06:19:55 AM|
Shops on the Internet can save you lots of money. In addition to buying things cheaper, you can shop when you want to and there are no waiting lines when you want to pay. With just a click of the mouse, shoppers can buy just about anything they need. Shoppin gonline allows consumers to shop at thousands of online shops and pay for their purchases without leaving the comfort of their own home or office. For all practical purposes, the internet has revolutionized the way we buy things. Who would have thought that you can shop for a car in your pajamas?
With the growth of online shopping, concerns are voiced about the safety of sending your personal information through the internet. As a result of online transactions, identity theft and credit card fraud are among the fastest growing crimes. Below are some helpful tips on safe shopping through the internet. Follow these simple rules and get the most of internet shopping.
1. Shop at secure websites. You can tell if a website is secure by the following.
Look at the top of your screen where the web site address is displayed, you should see https://. The "s" after "http" indicates that web site is secure. In most websites you will not see the "s" until you are on the order page on the web site. Here's simple rule. If you are about to enter your personal information and credit card numbers and you do not see the https, don't enter the info.
Another way to determine if a web site is secure is to look for a closed padlock displayed at the bottom of your screen. If that lock is open, then it is not a secure site and you should not enter your information.
2. Use sites that you can trust, either sites that you already know or ones that have been recommended. If you are not familiar with the shop, then do a quick search on google, yahoo or msn. If it's a legitimate site, the web address (example is www.swinke.com) will appear in various websites that link back to that website.
3. Always print out your order confirmation, this should include your order number, product details, delivery details and the charges. It is very important that all the charges be stated clearly before you checkout and pay. This is very important as shipping charges for larger items can eat away the online savings. Keep this until you are satisfied that the goods you ordered are correct and undamaged.
4. Check your bank or credit card statements as soon as you receive them. Raise any discrepancies with the shop first. If you see an unknown transaction on your statement contact your bank or credit card right away. You can request more information without regards to potential consequences. It's your right.
5. Never disclose your credit card pin number to anyone and do not provide your pin number over the internet. Your pin number is never required while shopping, so don't proceed if shops request that you provide it.
6. Internet shopping is ideal for purchasing items that have high state tax rates, that you are too embarrassed to go into a shop and buy, and that might not be available in your local market.
7. If you can, order more than one item at a time. Shipping costs have been increasing as a result of the cost of fuel. By ordering more than one, you will save on the delivery costs.
8. Try and pay by credit card as this gives you extra protection. If you can avoid it, do not use debit cards.
9. Sign up on the shop's website. This can lead to discounts on future orders and being notified of special offers they may be running. Even if you do not like receiving emails from shops offering specials, you should review them periodically. Internet advertising is expensive. Most shops would rather pass the savings on to those that sign up on the websites then spend it on advertising to get additional customers. Some of the bargains are too good to pass up.
10. Never get carried away and spend more than you can afford. It's easy to keep shopping with great prices but when it comes time to pay, that's when you realize that you overbought.
Article is edited by the Top Shopper at Swinke Shops Directory